Navigating the world of mental health treatment can be a daunting task. It can be difficult to stay current with new research and information on what treatments are most promising. Knowing which doctors or treatments are right for you and your family can be a challenge. To help you get started, we have created a collection of resources and information regarding mental health evaluation and treatment for both children and adults (Much like air masks on an airplane you need to take care of yourself before you can help others).
The most common steps in finding mental health treatment include:
- Check with your health insurance provider to confirm coverage and help you locate licensed mental health professionals that are in your network.
- Contact multiple providers who accept your insurance. Therapists often have intensive training and certification in particular treatment modalities. It is ok to ask questions about their training, specialties and experience.
- Determine which of these providers makes you the most comfortable.
- Complete an intake appointment with a licensed mental health professional to better define your symptoms and make a preliminary diagnosis and receive treatment recommendations.
- Follow the treatment plan. They are the professionals for a reason.
- Be patient. Change does not happen over night. There can be a lot of foundation to build before real change can happen. If you are concerned that the treatment plan is not working, discuss this with your provider.
Navigating the Mental Health World: From Assessment to Treatment is a training offered by Right Turn® free of charge to Nebraska families formed through adoption and guardianship. Check our training calendar for the next session near you.
* If you do not have health insurance coverage, or you have high co-pays that you can not afford, Right Turn may have limited funds to help cover part of the costs of mental health treatment for adoptive or guardianship parents or their children. You must be working with an assigned permanency support specialist to request financial assistance for counseling costs.
If you have additional needs or questions please call Right Turn® at 888-667-2399.